Thursday, August 02, 2007

Challenged! Part 2

As I mentioned earlier, I had bought papers for specific challenges so to silence the twinge of guilt I feel each time I look at my scrap bill, I had to make LOs. And not just any LOs. But LOs that at least have a chance of winning the challenges. Otherwise, why would I scramble to meet the deadlines when I can surely scrap much later, at my own pace and leisure?

There were three more LOs that I finished last weekend of July.

LASTING IMPRESSIONS SCENIC ROUTE CHALLENGE

When I went to buy the Scenic Route papers and monograms in Vivian's store, I didn't have the faintest layout idea in mind. There were too many patterns and colors to choose from that I just decided that I would do a layout on my two girls. Thus, I chose the flower patterns in in rich pink/orangey colors.

In Dad's Arms

My initial title for this was "Wrapped in Dad's Embrace" but I didn't have the right diecuts or stickers. Besides, it was too long that there wouldn't have been any room. Thus, after much deliberation, I settled for "In Dad's Arms." I love this photo of my DH and the girls. It shows how comfortable they are with each other. Sarah and Kahlo truly are Papa's girls, while DH has no qualms about showing his affection in public.

Journaling:
We know we are safe, secure, warm, loved, treasured, so adored. Sarah, Kahlo and Papa.

Note: It was Nita's idea to use that specific PPS (the backside of the flowers) and write the journaling that way. I had initially written my journaling on a Hambly screen print but it didn't work out. It commanded too much attention away from my photo.

Materials Used:
Papers - Scenic Route (I say 'rowt', you say 'root'. Is it 'to-ma-to' or 'to-may-to'?) Charlotte, Stickers - Laurel ABCD Monogram; Flowers - Bazzill and Prima; Button - K&Co.; Rub-ons - American Crafts; Diecut - Cuttlebug; Ribbon - Divisoria; Swirls handcut by Nita Ang.

The Process:
This was the first LO I started during the past week and I finished it last Friday. I brooded over it for a while but there wasn't much else to do, so here it is. Plain and simple.

The layout below is quite especial to me. It is one of the very first LOs I worked on last year, albeit using different papers. I finished this LO at Nita's house, at a precursor of our Friday mini-EBs. She and Au helped clueless me how to start scrapbooking. It was good but I wasn't quite happy with it. And I am glad I waited to scrap this photo because when I saw these Scenic Route papers, I knew they were perfect. I know they are the "old" designs but to be honest, I like the originality of the early released SR papers.

I so love this photo of Diego beside one of his Papa's clay model for a monument in Pagsanghan. It is supposed to depict Shooting the Rapids.

Papa's Works of Arts

Journaling:
At this YOUNG age, you are soft and pliable like clay.
Like a SCULPTOR to his MASTERPIECE, let me...
MOULD your values and your character.
FIRE your imagination with the endless possibilities.
BOND you with love and pure affection.
CAST your spirit with courage & determination.
BUILD you a strong foundation.
You are God's work of perfection.
Papa's work in progress.

Materials Used:
Papers - Scenic Route Leonardo's Creation, ItalianScript Cream, Stripe with Patter; Stickers: Laurel Monogram ABCD; Hambly screenprint; Diecut,- Cuttlebug; Stamps - Fancy Pants Bella Brush (thanks Mia); unknown (thanks Tin); Rubons - American Crafts; Perfect Pearls pigments; metal brads.

The Process:
I wrote the journaling last year. I mulled over it for the longest time with the help of my DH. I wanted to show that the clay model and Diego are his Papa's works of arts. Thus, the title. I believe that our children are there parents' creations. So we have to be caring and loving to make sure that they grow up with strong foundations. Following that train of thought, I used the techniques that DH has to go through to make a sculpture. From clay moulding to finally putting up the sculpture on its pedestal.

For the word WORKS, I used the Aged Patina pigments for the first time. I am supposed to simulate the color and texture of bronze, I am not sure if I succeeded. I impressed the stamped images on transparency at the PS July EB and they fit perfectly here.

*Many thanks to Cabbie for uploading these LOs to the Lasting Impression gallery. Since I left the upload at the last minute, I wasn't registered in time for the gallery.

SCRAPBUKAN'S MY MIND'S EYE/THREE CHALLENGE

I edited this photo in Photoshop, blurring the background and making the colors more vivid. I wanted to popout the shades but there was no time for me to learn how to do it. The KiDS had just bought these visors cum shades from an ambulant vendor and I just love the goofy grins on their faces. Pure happiness over such cheap treats.

3 Shady Grins

Journaling:
A picnic at Rizal Park, Manila
Cheap plastic visors in shades of pink & blue
Lots of grins and laughter.

(I didn't think the layout called for lengthy journaling as the photo speaks for itself.)

Materials Used:
Paper - Tres Bien Birthday Boy stripe, Birthday Boy Circles; Tag - Mademoiselle Princess Quote; Arrows - American Crafts; Stickers - American Craft Thickers; Stamp - Autumn Leaves; Pen - Uni Ball Signo white; Ribbons, Buttons, Cardstock.

The Process:
Can you say beating the deadline? I started this LO at 2 pm last July 31. I love the MME papers so it wasn't difficult to conceptualize a simple sketch. I was in the zone, loving every minute of it when the phone rang as I was about to stamp an image (U Make Me Laugh) on my LO. I was going to test the color of the ink first to check if it contrasted enough with the cardstock. But hearing my MIL's strident voice on the line, I unwittingly stamped on my LO. The image didn't come out completely (I tried to salvage it by pressing again) but the color was all wrong! For some it would have been easy to cover it up with a Prima but I didn't have the right shades. I hastily looked through my drawers and found the flower diecuts from last May's Scrapfest. I know the Scrappin' Moms will forgive me for not using them to make my She layouts. Some ink still showed around the edges so I used ribbons.

1 comment:

Au Lim said...

tagal kong do masyadong nagbo-bloghop so naaliw ako ang daming new entries. love the colors on this LO!!! husay mo na talaga ah! {clap-clap} :-D