Friday, May 18, 2007

I Know Her Heart

This is one of two Mother's Day layouts that I planned this month. The first one I had already given my mother-in-law (wasn't able to take a photo though). This one is a tribute to my mother whom I haven't seen for awhile as I haven't been to the province since March.

I am not sure when this photo of my mom was taken (I will have to ask Manang Marissa about that). But I remember this and a photo of my Dad when they were younger placed near the altar at home. I was always fascinated by the photos because for me, they didn't look like the parents I knew. I didn't know my parents when they were young and carefree. I knew them as the parents who worked hard and went through so many challenges just to make sure all of us, eight children, finished college. How they managed it at government employees' salaries I still cannot fathom. Such is the miracle of a parent's love and dedication.



Journaling Reads:
My mother was 40 years old when she had me - the 7th of 8 children. My earliest memories of her were of a woman with ample bosoms, wide hips, slightly graying hair, and an apple-cheeked face. Not this slender and beautiful woman in this photo. I never really met this young woman. I never really knew her. But then now and always, I know her heart.

Materials used:
Basic Grey Scarlet's Letter (Walks in Beauty, Rapture, Confession), BG Alphabet stickers, Prima Flowers, Making Memories eyelets, All My Memories hearts, Bobbin Ribbon "Memories", Deja Views Fresh Verse, assorted metal embellishments, black Sakura Aqualip, Glue Dots Vellum.

The Process:
I had actually mutilated one BG paper and found out too late that the cut pieces didn't fit my photo before I decided on simply combining two papers. I think I am better off when I stop trying to cut patterns. As this is also my entry to the Scrappinmoms' Flowers Bloom in May challenge, I used as many Prima flowers as I can. The hardest part was hammering the eyelets onto the flowers as I do not have a decent eyelet setter. After I added the vellum quote I stepped out of the room and when I came back, my DH has added the two metal hearts I had lying on the table on it. It was also his idea to put the lace and ribbons sideways to anchor the photo. (My DH doesn't like floating elements as he calls them on my LO.) So I guess you can say this is a husband and wife scrap page.

2 comments:

CraftFairy said...

This is soooo beautiful, Lee! I looked this up while at the office and couldn't help the tears.

This is Mommy's high school graduation picture - so she was 16 years old then.

I love you!

Nita Ang said...

Oh Lee, the outcome is beautiful :D I remember you working on this during the mini-EB but it was only partially done by the time you went home. This is exactly why I love checking your blog, despite the fact that I see how you would start an LO, the final outcome always surprises me.